This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Greenwich, Connecticut (U.S.)

Fairfield County

Last modified: 2024-04-20 by rick wyatt
Keywords: greenwich | connecticut | fairfield county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[flag of Greenwich, Connecticut] image by Fred Drews, 1 December 2015

See also:

Description of the flag

Greenwich is a town in Fairfield County, Connecticut, United States. As of the 2000 census, the town had a total population of 61,101. It is home to many hedge funds and other financial service companies that have left Manhattan. Greenwich is the southernmost municipality in Connecticut. In July 2005, CNN/Money and Money magazine ranked Greenwich 12th on its list of the 100 Best Places to Live in the United States. The town is the location of Greenwich Hospital, a community hospital with 174 beds and a teaching affiliate of Yale University School of Medicine." - from Wikipedia:,_Connecticut.

The flag is rectangular, vertically divided green-white-green with town seal in the center of the white stripe. It can be seen here:
Valentin Poposki, 7 December 2008

Coat of arms

[arms of Greenwich, Connecticut]

The town of Greenwich, Connecticut has an official Coat of Arms. It was designed in 1940 and adopted on April 25th of the same year, presumably to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the town's founding (it was founded in 1640). However the source article talks about how the town made a plaque with the coat of arms on it for its 375th anniversary in 2016 (yes, they were a year late).

Here's what the article says verbatim:

On Founders’ Day, July 18, 2016, the town attached a commemorative bronze plaque to a small boulder on the bluff at the southeastern tip of the Point. The plaque, created for the 375th anniversary of the founding, features a replica of the original deed to the land we now call Old Greenwich.

"Wee Amogerone and Owenoke, Sachems of Asamuck, and Rammatthone, Nawhorone, Sachems of Patomuck, have sould unto Robert Feaks and Daniell Patricke all theire rights and interests in all ye severall lands betwene Asamuck River and Patomuck, which Patomuck is a littel river which divideth ye bounds betwene Capt. Turner’s Perchase and this, except ye neck by ye indians called Monakewego, by us Elizabeth Neck, which neck is ye peticaler perchace of Elizabeth Feaks, ye sd Robt Feaks his wife, to be hers and her heaires or assigns, forever, or else to be at ye disposal of ye aforementioned purchasers forever, to them and theire heaires, executors or assigns, and theye to enjoy all rivers, Islands, and ye severall naturall adjuncts of all ye forementioned places, neigther shall ye indians fish within a mille of aney english ware, nor invite nor permit aney other indians to sett down in ye forementioned lands; in consideration of which lands ye forementioned purchasers are to give unto ye above named sachems twentie five coates, whereof theye have reserved eleven in part payment; to witness all which, theye have hereunto sett theire hands this 18 July 1640.

Amogerone, Nawhorone, Amsetthehone, Keofferam
Witness: Robert A. Heusted, Andrew Messenger,
Rasobibitt, Saponas, Whonehorn, Akeroque,
Pauonohas, Powiatoh
Keofferam hath sould all his right in ye above sd to Jeffere Ferris.
Witness: Richard Williams, Angell Heusted

The plaque also contains the town’s coat-of-arms designed in 1940. The design features a windmill representing the town’s early Dutch influence, a horse’s head for Horseneck (an early name for the land between the Mianus and Byram Rivers), a plow for the agricultural history of the founders, a ship from the coat-of-arms of Greenwich, England, and a clamshell representing the early maritime trade in the town.

Ethan Dubrow, 30 March 2024