Last modified: 2021-05-08 by rick wyatt
Keywords: grove city | ohio | franklin county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Masao Okazaki, 1 March 2021
based on image located by Valentin Poposki, 6 July 2007
Blue-white-green horizontal tricolor with the seal showing a tree centered.
Grove City, founded in 1852, is a city in Franklin County, Ohio, United States. The population was 27,075 at the 2000 census. It is a suburb of Columbus. In 2006, the population was estimated to be 31,820, and Grove City continues to be one of the fastest-growing suburbs of Columbus.
Grove City traces its beginnings to land grants bestowed upon Revolutionary War veterans General Daniel Morgan and Colonel William Washington. Hugh Grant, Jackson Township's first white settler, set up a farm on a portion of this land near the turn of the eighteenth century. In 1846, William Foster Breck purchased fifteen and a half acres from Grant's son. In 1852, Breck and a commission of three other men laid out Grove City. The community's growth was steady and in March 1866, Grove City became an incorporated village. The first mayoral election was held in May of that year; town doctor Joseph Bulen was elected.
As the twentieth century approached, Grove City solidified its position as a "bedroom community" of Columbus with the completion of the Grove City and Greenlawn Street Railway. Though this railway ceased operations in the late 1920s, proximity to Columbus continued to spur growth and the village became a city on November 16, 1959.
Valentin Poposki, 6 July 2007
image located by Paul Bassinson, 9 November 2019
Paul Bassinson, 9 November 2019