This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Pessac (Municipality, Gironde, France)

Last modified: 2024-04-06 by olivier touzeau
Keywords: gironde | pessac |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Pessac - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 18 April 2022

See also:

Presentation of Pessac

Pessac (66,760 inhabitants in 2021; 3,882 ha) is a commune in the Gironde department, part of the metropolis of Bordeaux, being the second-largest suburb of Bordeaux and located just southwest of it. Pessac is home to the Montesquieu University, the Bordeaux Montaigne University, and the Institut d'études politiques de Bordeaux.

Pessac developed on the route of the ancient road that linked Burdigala (Bordeaux) to La Teste-de-Buch. The history of Pessac was marked by the presence of Bertrand de Goth, Archbishop of Bordeaux, who in 1305 became Pope Clement V. He left his name to the castle "Pape Clement" which was offered to him as archbishop. Montesquieu, interested in the vineyard, had a building built in Pessac (currently Bacalan). It was only in the second half of the 19th century that the current center of Pessac was built in the middle of the vineyards. The neighborhoods built in the 20th century are often built to the detriment of the initial wine-growing aspect of the city. For example, the so-called“Saige Formanoir” and “Haut-Lévêque” districts were built partly on the land of former Pessac wine châteaux, and on the forest.

At the very beginning of the Second World War (June 22, 1940), the town was the site of a quadruple execution on the Verthamon shooting range. Four communist militants sentenced to death, one of whom is not 17, Roger Rambaud, who were among the internees of the Paris military prison in the midst of an exodus, are killed in the greatest secrecy by soldiers of the dying Third Republic . This case classified as "Secret Defense" for 70 years is revealed by historian Jacky Tronel in the history magazine Arkheia.

The Monnaie de Paris (Paris Mint) factory is located in Pessac.

Olivier Touzeau, 18 April 2022

Flag of Pessac

The current logo was adopted in 2021. The flag is white with the logo, made only of the words “Ville de Pessac”: photo (2022).

Olivier Touzeau, 18 April 2022

Former flags of Pessac

[Flag]    [Flag]    [Flag]

Former flags of Pessac - left, after 2016; center, before 2015; right, about 2000 - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 18 April 2022

According to French vexillologist Pascal Vagnat, a banner of arms could be observed in 2000 in twinning events between Pessac and Göppingen (Germany) (source).
The coat of arms of Pessac is blazoned: Azure a bend sinister party Vert and Gules flanked in chief by two bunches of grape fructed Or, stalked and leaved Vert, and in base by a forest a pines Sable on an isolated mount of the same.

The flag observed in 2015 near the city hall was white with the logo on a green gradient panel (photo, 2015).

In 2016, a new flag could be observed with the new version of the logo: blue field, additional ellipses and lines (photo, 2016; photo, 2020).

Olivier Touzeau, 11 April 2022

Cité Frugès housing estate

[Flag]    [Flag]

Flags of Cité Frugès - left, current ; right, 2016-21 - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 18 April 2022

Since 2016, a white flag with logo for the “Cité Frugès” is flown together with the municipal flag near the city hall, on the Vth Republic square.
The Cité Frugès is one of two housing estates designed by the Swiss architect Le Corbusier in 1924 (in collaboration with his cousin Pierre Jeanneret, also an architect) on behalf of the sugar industrialist Henri Frugès. The industrialist wanted to house his workers “on a vast meadow surrounded by pine woods, to build a garden city there”. On the initial project of 135 houses, the 50 dwellings built correspond to 7 different types of houses. With their flat roofs, their reinforced concrete construction and the polychromy of their facades, the houses were a full-scale laboratory for the architect's innovative ideas. The Cité Frugès has been on the UNESCO
World Heritage List since July 2016.

The first flag had a small logo of the city above the Cité Fugès logo, and the UNESCO classification logo in the fly: photo (2017), photo (2019), photo (2020).
The current flag, since the municipality adopted a new logo, has the municipal logo (small size) above, the Cité Frugès logo, and the UNESCO classification logo below, all ferreted to the hoist: photo (2022).


Detail on the flag of Cité Frugès - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 18 April 2022

The UNESCO part is made of:
- the UNESCO logo including the name of the organization in French
- the words "Cité Frugès, Pessac, partie de" (Cité Frugès, Pessac, part of)
- the World Heritage sign
- the text: (translation:) "The architectural work of Le Corbusier, an exceptional contribution to the Modern Movement, inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2016."

Olivier Touzeau, 18 April 2022