This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Kozy rural district (Poland)

Bielsko-Biala county, Śląskie voivodship

Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: kozy | goats |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Kozy commune flag] image by Jarig Bakker, 6 Feb 2008 See also:

Kozy rural district

Here is the flag of the commune of Kozy, Bielsko-Biala county, Śląskie wojwodship, as presented at the commune's website.
Flagdescription: quartered red and white; in top hoist two white goat's heads facing each other.
Coat of Arms: gules two goat's heads argent horned or facing; in base a threemound argent. ("koza" = goat)

The legend on the village foundation has it that on two glades at the feet of Chrobacza Łąka, there existed two villages of similar names Kozy Górne [Upper Kozy] and Kozy Dolne [Lower Kozy]. Till the end of 18th century each village was administered by an independent commune head and had a different owner, although they constituted one parish, mentioned for the first time in the year 1326 on a list of visited parishes in Poland, as „Duabuscapris seu Siffridivilla”, which means Two Goats – a landed estate of Siegfrid. Already at that time the village possessed a parish church and a small castle surrounded by a rampart and a moat, the remnants of that survived till the year 1935. The castle was a seat of knights of the Prince of Oświęcim, so-called raubritters – brigands, who used to rob merchants. Oświęcim and Zator Land was included into the Polish Crown in the year 1457, and earlier, from the year 1327, it was ruled by a Czech king.

Kozy was a village of nobility. It was owned in turn by: the Kornicas (from ca.1425), the Gierałtowskis (from ca.1536). In the year 1559 Jakub Gierałtowski transformed a Catholic church in Kozy into a Calvinistic chapel. The Calvinists destroyed all books and documents belonging to the parish. The church was brought back to the Catholics only in the year 1658. From the year 1636 the Gierałtowskis were heirs to Kozy Dolne, and Kozy Górne belonged to the Russockis.

In the period between 1650 – 1687 Kozy Dolne was a heritage of the Rej from Nagłowice family. In the 18th century the Jordans become the owners of Kozy. Introduction of house numbers in 1776 created a monolithic nature of an administration unit of Kozy. During the reign of the Jordans most of the brick buildings were erected, among others: buildings of medium and lower manor house, the tavern and most of the building for court servants. In the 19th century Kozy was administered by the Kluckis, and then by Barons Czecz de Lindenwald. Marian Czecz was a host to commanding officer Józef Piłsudski in February 1915, (first headquarters of the Legions First Brigade was located in Kęty). Kozy was one of the richest villages of the Oświęcim Land. It was famous for many excellent carpenters, bricklayers and looms.
Source: Kozy commune website.
Jarig Bakker, 6 Feb 2008

Kozy Coat of Arms

[Kozy coat of arms] image by Jarig Bakker, 6 Feb 2008