Last modified: 2023-01-28 by martin karner
Keywords: ukraine | chernivtsi | chernovicy | romania | falcon | beech nut | bukovina | bassarbia | herta | ghertsa | moldova | chernivetska oblast |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Jens Pattke, 16 November 2001
From site of Ukrainian
"It was confirmed at December, 12th, 2001. There is a rectangular panel with a ratio of the parties 2:3. From the top and bottom edges are blue-yellow stripes (blue strip width equals 1/10 of a flag width, yellow equals 1/30 of a flag width). At the centre of a panel is a white falcon on a green background (its height equals 1/2 width of a flag).
Falcon is symbol of beauty, bravery. The green colour (Green Bukovyna) means well-being and hope. Blue-yellow strips emphasize a state belonging of area, the dark blue also personifies greatest rivers of region. Yellow means grain fields."
Jens Pattke, 16 November 2001
Soviet era name: Chernovitsy. Area seized from Rumania in 7 August 1940
António Martins , 10 July 1999
Chernivtsi Oblast's got three parts:
1. North Bukovina
2. Northern part of Bessarabia
All the three part was part of the Principality of Moldova until 1775.
On 7th of May 1775 the territory of Bukovina was seized by Austria. From 1786 Bukovina was an autonomous district of Galicia Province. From 1849 to 1918 Bukovina was one of the Austrian Provinces. Bukovina was an ethnic mosaic. In 1910 the province had got 794,9 thousand settlers (38,4% Ruthenian, 34,4% Rumanian, 12,0% Jew, 9,2% German, 4,5% Polish, 1,3% Hungarians and others). The Treaty of Saint-Germaine (1919) annexed the territory of Bukovina (without 4 villages) from Austria to Romania. The northern part of Bukovina was annexed to Ukraina by the Soviet Union on 26th June 1940. Between 1941-1944 it was part of Romania. The Treaty of Paris annexed it to the Soviet Union (Ukraina).
Northern part of Bessarabia (or Khotin region):
On 28th of May 1812 the Treaty of Bucharest (Russia-Turkey) annexed the territory of Bessarabia to Russia. It became territory. In January 1918 Romania occupied the territory and after the Treaty of Bucharest (Romania-Austria/Hungary 08. 05. 1918) annexed it . Bessarabia was annexed to the Soviet Union on 26th June 1940. The northern part of Bessarabia became part of Ukraina (the other part (without the seashore) became the Moldavian Republic). 1941-1944 part of Romania. The Treaty of Paris annexed it to the Soviet Union (Ukraina).
Herta (In Rumania Herta, in Ukrainian Ghertsa (Gerca)) and vicinity:
Until 1862 part of Moldova, after the Union of Moldova and Wallachia it became part of Romania. On 26th June 1940 the Soviet Union annexed the town and their vicinity. 1941-1944 part of Romania. The Treaty of Paris annexed it to the Soviet Union (Ukraina).
Chernivtsi Oblast - Regiunea Cernăuţi (in Romanian) has got 844,9 thousand inhabitants (19,6% Rumanian; 1970 census).
Istvan Molnar, 6 July 2000
I believe it is actually "Chernowitz" in German. By
the way, the German name for the region (Buchenland) means
"land of beeches", as far as I know.
Santiago Dotor, 17 July 2000
It was Czernowitz until 1918. (see Stielers Handatlas 1877
& 1912; Brockhaus' Kleines Konversations-Lexikon, 1914,
&c. In Fischers Weltalmanach 2000 it is called Chernivtsi;
Duden Lexikon (1965) has Tschernowitz.
CoA with a big cattle-head on blue-red field; between the horns and to the left and right of the head 3 or mullets of 6. Landesfarben: Blue - Red (according to Brockhaus).
Jarig Bakker, 17 July 2000
image from site of Ukrainian Heraldry, located by Jarig Bakker
In 1994 the regional council of Chernivtsi confirmed a
regional Coat of Arms. A shield is cut with gules and vert. In
the right half there is the town Coat of Arms of Chernivtsi, in
the left half there are three ,one on the other, beech nuts. The
shield is crowned with an argent old Slavonic falcon and is
framed with a wreath of the beech branches which are connected
with a azure-and-yellow ribbon.